I guess the pictures say it all!
The month of June has been filled with many memories! We finished school the first week and started summer school the third week. This was so exciting for the kids! Not to have to go back to school, however, I don't really think they understand that everyone else is on Summer Break, but to get to ride a school bus. The school bus was free for summer school, so each morning we walk a block to the bus stop and wait with anticipation for the big YELLOW bus to come around the bend. It's a first for Caleb each morning. He loves the bus and always waves and smiles ear to ear at the bus driver when she arrives! It's hard to have a bad morning when you see his contagious smile! Deianna, the big sister, always has to make sure he makes it up the stairs, okay, and that he is seated. She is also the first one to tattle that Caleb was kicking the seat in front and even has kicked her. Since we have a no kicking, hitting, spitting, scratching or any thing that hurts another member of the family rule, Caleb of course is reminded that he will be punished when he arrives home. We had a big family meeting just the night before about being kind to our brothers and sister's, but of course for Caleb this will take a while to sink in. Deianna is always ready to please and works hard to not be "naughty". Every day when she gets off the bus she proclaims, "I not naughty, mom!" I wish you could hear her voice because she is sooooooooooooo serious when she says it. Caleb always chimes in after that he was not naughty either!
Struggles, well, not many. Just normal learning to obey and listen, but nothing out of the ordinary. We went to night underwear for Deianna because it is upsetting to her if her bed is wet in the morning. I talked to another mother that adopted two children and she said that her quit when they were 11. Hopefully, this or sooner will be Deianna's outcome. We are hoping Caleb has quit sucking his thumb. His dry hands are doing better with our new "thumb sucking" device. We put socks on his hands every night that have duck tape wrapped around the thumb/hand area. They are not restrictive, but where he would suck would be duck tape and so he doesn't stick it in his mouth. We put lotion on first so his dry hands are getting so much better.
I want to say that it is nice being called "mom" instead of mama and most of the time Paul is called "dad". I think this is because the other kids call us that.
Deianna and Caleb took their first swimming lessons. They both loved it and are doing well, despite the language barrier. The class only had 4 kids in it to one instructor so I believe that helped alot.
We also took a trip to Chicago so the kids could meet Paul's family. It was a great experience for everyone.
Well, we miss the Karlen's. I can't remember your blog so if you read this let me know so I can check up on what's been going on with you. We have been hearing alot more about Geocashing now that we have returned to MN! So funny! And we heard it from you first.
We also miss all our Ukrainian friends. We hope you are all doing well!!!!
All you "waiting" parents out there that are being helped by Dave, feel free to ask Dave for my email and I would be happy to visit with you! It is a wonderful experience!

3 comments:
Darla, It sounds like the kids are doing great and adjusting well. You are amazing! Yay God!!
Laura
Hey Darla and Paul - We MISS you and speak of you often. I am so happy to see your new pictures. We can't get over how much Caleb has changed. The kids look happy. It's amazing what love and attention will do! Our blog is www.karlenblog.blogspot.com. We are doing great! Daniel is such a sweetie and we couldn't be happier! Keep posting!!
The kids look like they are loving their new family. I keep checking for more posts. I am sooo happy Dyana got to come to America. Wasn't it cool to celebrate them being citizens on the 4th!
Post a Comment