Into the Arena
I guess it’s time I stop being a slug and add what I hope will be somewhat helpful information here. I’m the other half of Paul and Darla, me being the “Paul” part, and I am at the moment just overwhelmed in so many ways. I may often have much to say but being a hunt & peck typist at best will only go as far as my fingers will take me – probably a good thing for anyone reading this. Darla has been keeping me up to speed on all her findings in reading others’ blogs about their experiences (Nick & Nancy and Victor & Inna – we are already so indebted to both of your families for what you’ve shared with us) and it has been such a relief to have answers to questions we didn’t even know we would at some point be asking. Thanks to all!!!! I also offer my thanks to all who have supported our adoption to date – loving family and friends, wonderful neighbors, and fantastic co-workers plus all the new acquaintances who have touched our lives.
I am simply amazed that:
- There are over 143 million orphans in our world and our Lord God has taken us this far on the adoption journey (and we haven’t even left the US yet).
- There are so many AWESOME people who have already adopted or support orphans in a myriad of ways.
- While we’ve waited as patiently as possible (okay God, so you know about all our conversations while “patiently” waiting) and now have so much to do to prepare for the trip, our time in the Ukraine, and our return.
- The economic challenges in our world that on a daily basis bring me closer to Jesus.
Micah 7:7 "But as for me, I watch in hope for the LORD, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."
Being the analytical half of our marriage I started our “project plan” (In an Excel spreadsheet) last weekend to organize everything coming at us. Being in IT it seemed like a natural step to take – okay so I can get a bit on the geeky side but no pocket protectors for this guy. In the plan I have separate tabs for:
- Tasks w/Start and End Dates
- List of Stuff to Bring (this one has doubled in size just in the last day – yikes!!!)
- Questions for Orphan’s Hope (the Christian orphan ministry we’ve worked with since day one)
- Gifts to take to the Ukraine – in addition to the monetary gift to the orphanage we’re collecting basic staples and lots of smaller toys that we’re bringing in two suitcases that we can use on the return trip for our child(ren)s clothes and any gifts/souvenirs we get
- Trip Tips (most of this info Darla has collected online from those who have done this before us – my favorite tip so far is to pack half of each of our clothes in our two main suitcases in case one bag gets lost and the other does not – plus to carry on one set of clothes with us on the plane)
- Trip Costs – good way to track what we need and will need additional $ for.
P.S. So I’m STILL stuck on this whole thing about using 220V electricity. If everything we plan to use is dual voltage then all we need are grounded adapter plugs, right? And if we have anything that is not dual voltage then we need a voltage converter? Why do some people bring small transformers and what dictates the size/power? I’ve checked/double-checked all our electricals and they are in fact dual voltage (laptop, phone charging cord, various battery chargers) except Darla’s blow dryer and flat iron – I’m thinking for those we can buy inexpensive dual voltage versions before we leave and she can “rough it”.

0 comments:
Post a Comment